This has been a semester full of learning about Italy, about ourselves, and about living with each other. For anyone planning to study in the Genoa program, here are a few pointers from our year to yours!
- Bring good hiking shoes, not just good walking shoes. If your day trips are anything like ours, you will want them.
- If you like coffee or tea in the morning, bring a to-go thermos. That way when you wake up with the warning bell on the day of a day trip you can bring a hot drink along with you.
- If you don't like coffee or tea, just wait. You will.
- You will learn to respond to a bell like one of Pavlov's dogs. Don't resist it, just embrace it.
- If you want to go anywhere in Genoa, you will be climbing a sheer hill or scaling stairs. Prepare if you can.
- If it is cold outside the villa, it is cold inside the villa. Unless you are literally sitting on one of the radiators in the kitchen, which I have done several times for this reason.
- Even if you have had gelato already that day, it is still a good time for gelato. Even if it is December.
- Try to enjoy the time you have here! It is not as long as you think, and before you know it, you'll be saying...